18 Oct Our 5 Favorite Spaghetti Squash Recipes
Posted at 13:22h
Welcome Fall and season of the spaghetti squash! Here are our top SP recipes we make again and again! Enjoy!
1.Mexican Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Ingredients: Serves 3-4
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 large Turkey sausage (out of case)
- 2 teaspoons olive or corn oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup sweet corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- All of the reserved cooked squash, about 4 cups
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Roast squash in a 375°F oven for 50 minutes until tender or cut squash in half and place in a microwave dish with 1/2 inch of water, lightly covered with plastic wrap for 20 minutes on high until tender. cool. When cool, scoop flesh from squash halves.
- For the filling, heat oil in a large pan and sauté red onion, jalapeño chili and red pepper for 2 minutes. Add sausage, beans, corn and chili powder; sauté 1 minute longer. Add cooked squash, cilantro, lime juice and salt, cook 1 minute until heated through. Recipe called to stuff back in shells, but I just out mine in a bowl.
2. Pad Thai Health-ified (Recipe from Family Fresh Cooking) Serves 4-5
- 4 cups cooked Spaghetti Squash (about 1/2 a large squash)
- 1 cups steamed snap peas
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large chicken breast
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup natural, crunchy Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- pinch of ground Ginger
- pinch of ground Cinnamon
- pinch of ground Black Pepper
- 2 T honey
- 1/2 salted Peanuts, chopped
- extra chopped Peanuts
- extra shredded carrots
- unsweetened Coconut Flake
- red pepper fakes
- Bake or microwave spaghetti squash. I microwave for 15 minutes rotating every 5. MUCH quicker! Scoop out squash and toss into bowl with snap peas.
- Scramble eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper. Place in frying pan and cook as if you where making in omelet. Cut into squares when done. You can completely eliminate step to decrease time and calories in meal.
- Steam chicken in boiling water. About 15 minutes depending on thickness of breast. Cut into to be sure it’s cooked through. Cut into squares when done.
- Toss remaining ingredients in bowl and whisk together for sauce.
- Add squash, egg and chicken to sauce and mix till fully covered, garnish w/ extra peanuts, coconut flakes and carrots.
I did not have a lot of the ingredients for this, so it was a pricey one to make. But now I’m stocked to cook various Thai creations, so worth it! And, this meal is really simple! You can opt to make it vegan and eliminate chicken and eggs. Be sure to try this one!
3. Spaghetti Squash Pizza Casserole (recipe from PaleOMG)
Ingredients: Serves 1 🙂
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 600 grams)
- 1 pound italian sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pizza sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- optional: shredded mozzarella, topping of choice. I added pepperoni to Mat’s side and a very light layer of cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add italian sausage and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
- Add pizza sauce, dried basil and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Place in oven and bake @350 for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle of the dish. *Add pepperoni/toppings/cheese about 15 min before done*
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
4. Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Bake (recipe from Carrots n’ Cake)
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 4-5 cups of cooked spaghetti squash
- 3/4 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup peas (frozen)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/8 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook turkey and peas as directed.
- In a large mixing bowl, while they are still warm, combine spaghetti squash, ground beef, and peas with the Laughing Cow cheese wedges until cheesy is fully blended.
- Mix in grated Parmesan, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the entire mixture into a 9” X 9” baking dish, spread evenly, and flatten with a spatula.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake for 25-30 minutes until the top begins to lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
5. Debs Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Ingredients: Serves 6-8
2 Spaghetti Squash
1 lb Ground Turkey – I used 99% fat free
1 jar of marinara sauce –We love Trader Joes Organic Tomato and Basil sauce
2 cups Ricotta Cheese with part skim milk
1 red pepper
1 cup spinach
1 small onion- diced
1 tbsp garlic powder (give or take)
1tbsp dried basil
2 tsp oregano
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese- with part skim milk
Follow these steps to deliciousness!
- Cook spaghetti squash.
- There are so many ways to cook a spaghetti squash but my go-to is to microwave them. I poke holes in the squash and microwave for about 10-12 minutes, depending on size. I usually turn it over about half way through the microwave time. The outside should be soft and easy to cut. I would recommend microwaving one squash at a time.
- Cut the squash in half. Remove/toss the seeds. Carve the squash to remove stringy part and place in a bowl.
- Cook the ground turkey until there is no pink left.
- Add 1 cup marinara sauce, diced red pepper, spinach, onion, and garlic to meat. Cook on low until spinach is wilted.
- Combine eggs, ricotta, basil, and oregano in a separate bowl.
- Spray the bottom of the baking dish to prevent sticking.
Start layering the ingredients – Here’s what I did, but you could definitely switch it up.
- Put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- Add half the spaghetti squash next. Press it down into a thin layer that covers the whole dish.
- Layer the meat next.
- Put another pressed layer of spaghetti squash on top of the ricotta. This should use up the remainder of the squash.
- Pour the remainder of the marinara on top of the squash
- Top with shredded mozzarella
8. Cook at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes.
~The KFIT Team